Can I start my building work immediately?

In certain cases planning permission may not be required however, building control approval would need to be gained and you may also need to agree to a party wall agreement with neighbouring owners.

Do I need a Party Wall Agreement?

In majority of cases a Party Wall Agreement would be required. Please click here to download the Party Wall Guide (CLG).

Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission is required when altering the look of the external elevations or changing the use of the building. In most cases extensions or changes to the external view to a residential property will not require planning permission however an application for a lawful development would be required and are governed by the rules and guidelines for the type of extension you are proposing.

All commercial and change of use applications require planning permission, including the conversion of a building into flats.

How long does it take to gain planning permission?

Planning permission takes on average 8 weeks however in some cases this may take longer depending on the complexity of the project.

How long is my planning permission valid for?

Planning permission is valid for 3 years however please refer to your decision notice for clarification. Certain Applications like Prior Approvals and Lawful Development Certificates may have a reduced time limit.

What are Building Regulations?

The Building Regulations is a set of predefined standards ensuring safe building practices and good workmanship. The standards cover structure, fire safety, sound and thermal insulation, ventilation, drainage, flues, access for the disabled, staircases and glazing.